Monday, December 2, 2013

Assignment 12.3.13

Passage Chosen: "The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced."


 My reason for choosing this passage is simple, I've heard the Gettysburg Address multiple times, but not until this very assignment, did I actually take the time to dissect the true significance of this speech, in history, and in our present. Although my honest opinion is, the nation does not know how to be as humble and as brave or as dedicated to the people, as Abraham Lincoln was. By far. Or maybe, it is us as a nation that have to pay more attention to who we decide to elect, because ultimately, we are the one's choosing who leads us, and it feels as if we have chosen qualified, but not exceptional leaders. 

 The significance of this passage and quote, I chose specifically from the Gettysburg Address because of how funny it is that Abraham Lincoln honestly kept it real, and said, that "the world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but we can never forget what we did here." It makes me feel like in that moment, they didn't realize how big a change, they had made. What big a goal they accomplished. But regardless of the fact, I love that part, because I'm doing an assignment right now, more than a century later, on the very speech that Abraham Lincoln thought we wouldn't remember. And it's basic history as well. Truth be told, that was a well delivered speech, and it's sincerity and words, honestly, captivate me and motivate me. I would've loved to have lived in an Era where someone like Lincoln was president. Where the weight of the world is on his shoulders, and the lives of many lay on his command, yet he takes full responsibility and acknoledges them all for their sacrifices, even after succeeding. That kind of humbleness, is something I don't feel in our own time, and that's why I personally love this speech. It gives me hope. That one day a leader will rise up with his kind of bravery, and sympathy. Message well received, I'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment